Re: [O] how to use contrib packages through ELPA (specifically org-expor

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] how to use contrib packages through ELPA (specifically org-export)
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 17:36:02 -0600

>> Any thoughts on the topic of packaging elements of contrib?  If no-one
>> objects I will submit an org-export package to marmalade [1].
>
> Nic Ferrier hasn't responded to the question of whether he would want to
> have elnode in GNU ELPA.  As far as your editable app is concerned, I
> believe it can go anywhere.  Marmalade seems a natural choice.

I agree.  I'll release this to marmalade once the supporting packages
are in order (see below).

> If org-export.el and org-e-backends are bundled as ELPA packages, I
> would insist that go in GNU ELPA and not elsewhere.  Nicolas and I are
> signed contributors. (Sometime back, I had made a request to Achim to
> port my ELPA changes to the new build system.  I hope it is in his TODO
> list.  Achim, are you there?)

After talking to Nicolas, it sounds as though if I wait for the next
major Org-mode release, the Org-mode package will provide org-element
and org-export.  This seems like the best choice, rather than go through
the trouble of generating extra packages which will quickly be obsolete.

Thanks,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte