Re: [O] Interweaveing code and results with :session

From: Ista Zahn
Subject: Re: [O] Interweaveing code and results with :session
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 07:10:22 -0400

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 7:40 PM, Eric Schulte <address@hidden> wrote:
> Ista Zahn <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to interweave multi-line R code and results, like this:
>>
>> #+begin_src R :results output
>> 2+2
>> 3+3
>> #+end_src
>>
>> #+results:
>> : > 2+2
>> : [1] 4
>> : > 3+3
>> : [1] 6
>>
>> while using R :session. The solution posted at
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-08/msg00785.html
>> is to set
>>
>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>> (setq org-babel-R-command "R --silent --no-save")
>> #+end_src
>>
>> This works, but only if session is not being used. For example:

>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>> (setq org-babel-R-command "R --silent --no-save")
>> #+end_src
>>
>> #+results:
>> : R --silent --no-save
>>
>> This works as desired:
>> #+begin_src R :results output
>> 2+2
>> 3+3
>> #+end_src
>>
>> #+RESULTS:
>> : > 2+2
>> : [1] 4
>> : > 3+3
>> : [1] 6
>> : >
>>
>> Does not interweave code and results when using :session:
>> #+begin_src R :results output :session *R*
>> 2+2
>> 3+3
>> #+end_src
>>
>> #+results:
>> : [1] 4
>> : [1] 6
>>
>> Is there a way to get this interweaved output while using :session?
>>

> Unfortunately I do not believe this is currently possible, however it
> shouldn't be hard to implement for someone familiar with ob-R.el.

Thanks Eric. I'm able to get the desired behavior by setting

  (setq org-babel-R-command "R --silent --save --restore")

instead of using :session

Obviously this is slow, and has other disadvantagages, but  it does
give interweaved results while allowing object persistance across code
blocks.

Best,
Ista