Re: [O] GNU Emacs ported to Android

From: Jason F. McBrayer
Subject: Re: [O] GNU Emacs ported to Android
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 09:52:55 -0400

On 23.08.2012 00:59, Carsten Dominik wrote:

I think speed keys
http://orgmode.org/manual/Speed-keys.html#Speed-keyswill already go a
long way to make Org-mode usable on an Emacs with no or limited
modifier support. So your minor mode could largely be an expansion of
the speed key setup.

I've run emacs a little bit in a Fedora-ARM chroot on my Android tablet,
and speed keys were definitely my primary means of interacting with
it. The modifier support was not *that* limited -- running it in a local
ConnectBot session and using Hacker's Keyboard is as-far-as-I-can-tell
equivalent to a normal TTY Emacs with a PC keyboard. But, of course, the
modifier support in a normal TTY Emacs is a little limited.

My notes on running Emacs and Org-mode in this environment are at
http://www.carcosa.net/jason/blog/computing/emacs/2012-07-19-21-31-emacs-on-android.html
if anyone is interested. The setup bits are a bit obsolete given the new native app that's out, but the native app basically wraps a terminal app
around an ARM-linux emacs, so a lot of things still apply.

| Jason F. McBrayer address@hidden |
| If someone conquers a thousand times a thousand others in |
| battle, and someone else conquers himself, the latter one |
| is the greatest of all conquerors. --- The Dhammapada |