Re: [O] Org-mode release 7.9

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] Org-mode release 7.9
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 09:43:28 +0200

Hi Eric and Achim,

Eric Schulte <address@hidden> writes:

> Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Bastien writes:
>>> I'm afraid the only recommendation here is to try to stick to one
>>> installation method -- or to reinstall a fresh package/repo with a
>>> fresh contrib/lisp/ *after* any ELPA upgrade.
>>
>> Well, we could make an ELPA package that includes contrib.  It just
>> can't be distributed via GNU ELPA then.
>
> I second this option.
>
> Given that ELPA and contrib/ both serve as a sort of proving ground for
> tools which do not yet have some combination of the stability, copyright
> assignment, or widespread utility to be included in Emacs or either
> Org-mode it seems natural to distribute the contrib directory through
> ELPA.

Are you both talking about the same thing?

(I use ELPA* to denote other ELPA archives than GNU ELPA.)

If this is about a org-*.tar ELPA* package containing both
*core* and *contrib*, I disagree.

If this is about a org-contrib*.tar ELPA* (or wherever), I
agree.

Hopefully we can define dependencies for packages living on
different ELPA* serveurs -- can someone confirm this?

> I think either of the following repositories would make excellent homes.
>
>   http://tromey.com/elpa/
>   http://marmalade-repo.org/packages/

We don't have to chose, right?  As long as one of them make it
available, I'm fine.

> Also, somewhat selfishly, I'd like to distribute my org-ehtml tool as an
> ELPA package, but I can't until some of the functionality in contrib/
> can be installed through ELPA.

Sure.

If we are sure we can have a org-contrib in ELPA* that knows what org it
should rely on GNU ELPA, then let's go ahead with such package.

--
 Bastien