Re: [O] Org-mode release 7.9

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] Org-mode release 7.9
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 19:54:04 +0200

Bastien writes:
> Are you both talking about the same thing?

I'm not sure, but we'll find out.

> (I use ELPA* to denote other ELPA archives than GNU ELPA.)
>
> If this is about a org-*.tar ELPA* package containing both
> *core* and *contrib*, I disagree.
>
> If this is about a org-contrib*.tar ELPA* (or wherever), I
> agree.

I was talking about the hypothetical possibility to offer another
archive that is compatible with package manager and either packages Org
including contrib or just contrib (so that it could be installed
alongside the "normal" Org ELPA archive).

Of these two options the first (canned Org + contrib/ in a single
archive) is considerably easier to implement since all autoload
dependencies are kept inside the same install.

> Hopefully we can define dependencies for packages living on
> different ELPA* serveurs -- can someone confirm this?

I don't think that's possible if I understand what you're asking.  When
you configure multiple servers the package manager will treat all
packages the same, you can't prefer packages on one server over another
AFAIK — it choses the one with the highest version if the same package
is offered from multiple sources.

> If we are sure we can have a org-contrib in ELPA* that knows what org it
> should rely on GNU ELPA, then let's go ahead with such package.

That on the other hand would be possible if we find a way to sort out
the autoloads maze.  But we might avoid that problem altogether if we
simply offer the Org+contrib package on orgmode.org and tell people to
download it and then issue "M-x package-install-file".

Regards,
Achim.