Re: [O] can't find org-version?

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] can't find org-version?
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 19:50:51 +0200

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> The variable org-version was an internal one that has been removed.  The
> org-toodledo package should not rely on internal variables, but rather
> use the official interface, in this case the function org-version.

In the real world, developers rely on a set of stable expectations.

Being able to check against `org-version' as a *variable* is one of
them, and a very stable one.  IMO, it is counter-productive to deceive
this expectation and to ask developers to read org.el to know how they
can check against Org's version.

The way `org-version' is set internally is another topic, and I'm glad
you finally come up with something that relies only on make/git.  But
geee... this has been a long and painful way to go, and I don't count
how many users are/were confused about this.

The original motivation for this was to spare the maintainer the sweat
of possible merge conflicts when syncing with Emacs... which were just
very unlikly to happen anyway.

So, let's focus more on the users, and less on conceptual purity.

--
 Bastien