Re: [O] [OT] Mindwave Emacs. EEG reading and Data gathering in an org-mo

From: brian powell
Subject: Re: [O] [OT] Mindwave Emacs. EEG reading and Data gathering in an org-mode buffer.
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 19:03:36 -0400

* If you're worried about "a TON of data" filling the emacs buffer then expand the max buffer size or you might want to look into QEmacs by Fabrice Bellard (of Pi calculation fame, and creator of QEMU)

** I've used QEmacs to edit gigabyte+ size files.

*** I'm not sure that's what you're worried about; but, whatever.

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 7:19 AM, brian powell <address@hidden> wrote:

>I still wonder if org is the right medium for this. Most of the
>devices are going to give you a TON of data (the neurosky raw stream
>is ~500hz update, emotiv is ~128hz, etc...). Pedometers and blood
>pressure monitors that do one-time large dumps might be somewhat more
>feasible.

* EMACS OrgMode is one of the right mediums for this:

** can put massive amounts of data in a tiny icon on your screen (that you can wave your mouse over to glimpse whats inside--which could be data or notes, etc.

** can quickly fold and unfold the data in a tree-like structure.

* I used to work with brainwave data with EMACS and neuroscientists at NIH would be amazed at what I could do with the data.

* EMACS is in MIT's top 20 of all-time developments in Artificial Intelligence.

You can use EMACS to massage the data and EMACS OrgMode to study whats interesting to you and/or present it to other researchers.