Re: [O] [OT] Does anyone use Tinderbox?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] [OT] Does anyone use Tinderbox?
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 10:47:10 +0800

On Fri, Sep 14 2012, Bastien wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I've daydreamed about this before: what if, instead of agenda views, we
>> took a page from the Tinderbox method and made "agendas" simple
>> headlines, with some cookie saying "I'm an agenda", and a property
>> containing the search string. Instead of having an ephemeral *Org
>> Agenda* buffer, your "agenda views" are simply another in-file headline,
>> whose children are TODOs/headlines that match the query. Multiple and
>> persistent agendas are suddenly a matter of course.
>
> What about this?
>
> * [[elisp:(org-agenda nil "a")]]

But this is still just a link to an *Org Agenda* buffer. What I was
describing (and again, I'm not at all convinced this is a good idea) is
a headline in a regular org file that looks like this:

* [ag] Next Tasks
  :PROPERTIES:
  :AGENDA_QUERY: -WAITING-CANCELLED/!NEXT
  :END:

The [ag] cookie tells Org that this is an agenda headline. You hit "C-c
C-g" (or something) within this headline, and Org runs the query and
inserts the results as children of the headline. It's just a plain old
Org headline, and can be saved or exported as part of the file. The only
difference is that you can continue to update it (either manually or
with a hook), and that certain Org agenda keybindings are in effect
while point is in the headline (actually this part would probably be the
most difficult).

Anyhoo, just an idea.

--
GNU Emacs 24.2.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.11)
 of 2012-09-05 on pellet