Re: [O] [OT] Xiki - could something like that be done with emacs+orgmode

From: Andrew Hyatt
Subject: Re: [O] [OT] Xiki - could something like that be done with emacs+orgmode?
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 23:37:47 -0400

The xiki video is interesting, and I immediately thought of babel.
However, babel sh-mode doesn't have support for execution yet. Even if
it did, it wouldn't be a really good alternative, due to babel's
verbosity.

One idea is to have a babel subtree (or buffer) that is keyed to a
specific language, so that everything under it is assumed to be an
executable statement.  Something like:

* Project A
** Shell
   :PROPERTIES:
   :BABEL-TYPE: sh
   :END:

ls
  - file1
  - file2
  - file3

run_server
  ouput-buffer

** Next thing

Where the files and output-buffer are linked.  The interaction within
the BABEL-TYPE heading would be similar to the *scratch* buffer, just
execute and it gives you the result immediately below.  Except the
result should work be org-output, and linked when appropriate.

Babel would be handling this, but it wouldn't need the boilerplate for
each command, or each output.

The idea to use [[shell:ls]] and things like that is also useful, but
right now the output goes to a different buffer, and is not otherwise
tied in with org-mode.  This is why I think babel might be a better
fit for this type of functionality.