[O] [FR] capture with one prompt dattree and time range (was: Re: [bug]

From: Gregor Zattler
Subject: [O] [FR] capture with one prompt dattree and time range (was: Re: [bug] org-capture datetree+prompt: wrong time (range) information in timestamp (%T escape sequence))
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 23:58:15 +0200

Hi org-mode users + developers,

this no bug report any more but feature request:
* Gregor Zattler <address@hidden> [25. Sep. 2012]:
> Is this somehow possible with only one prompt:
>
> - to be prompted for the date of the event or the date and time /
>   time range of the appointment.
> - the event/appointment to be recorded in a date tree under it's
>   respective date, not under today.
> - having a timestamp in the resulting heading
> - to see the respective time (range) information in the agenda if
>   there is any.

It's already possible to file the event at it's date in the
datetree, it's also possible to give the starting time and to
expand the date and the starting time in a capture template.

It's not possible to expand a) no time information if none was
given at the prompt or to expand a given time range because the
%T expando family expands unconditionally and not to time ranges.

My feature request is for an additional expando (say %^d)
which does this.

Ciao, Gregor
P.S.: Thanx to Bastien who proposed to explain in detail what is
already doable and what is not.  This guided me to this feature
request.