Re: [O] Bug: org-read-date: problem with year in dotted european date in

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: org-read-date: problem with year in dotted european date input [7.9.2 (release_7.9.2-436-g9b11e6 @ /home/grfz/src/org-mode/lisp/)]
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 08:01:45 +0200

On 13 okt. 2012, at 20:45, Gregor Zattler <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Nicolas, org-mode users and developers,
> * Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> [13. Oct. 2012]:
>> Gregor Zattler <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Back to square one: Does anybody know How to customise
>>> Emacs/org-mode so that dotted European dates are parsed correctly
>>> at the date/time prompt?
>>
>> Again, dotted European dates are parsed correctly without customization.
>> Would you provide a time string that isn't?
>
> "Naked" dotted european dates without surrounding text are
> parsed correctly by org-read-date.
>
> But with date/time prompt I mean the prompt which asks me for a
> date/time when invoking org-time-stamp.  Here I'm allowed to
> insert Dates like "the event takes place at 27.10. at 14:00 in
> the pub".  Org-mode is supposed to parse these, see
> [[info:org#The%20date/time%20prompt][info:org#The date/time prompt]].

Org used to have the ambition to parse a date in the middle of a text,
and this six what you are seeing in the documentation. However, over
time more and more different requests came in, to parse ISO weeks,
European dates and more.  Also we want to allow incomplete dates like
leaving out a year etc.  I still think Org does a pretty god job
there.  However, to be reasonably predictable we did have o restrict
matching of special dates to the beginning of the string, and this is
what you and Nicolas are now seeing.  If you want this to work
differently, you need to hack your own version of the analyze
function.  For example, you can remove the ^ anchor from the regexp
matching dotted dates. And you can change the regexp to match two
digit years and not only four digit years. But you will then see that
it also parses numbers with decimals which happen to be in the chunk
of text.

Carsten