Re: [O] org back up

From: Sanjib Sikder
Subject: Re: [O] org back up
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 01:08:59 +0530

Hi,

Thanks a lot.

-----------------------------
Sanjib Sikder
Ph.D. Fellow
Chemical Engineering
IIT Bombay

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 1:06 AM, Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:
Teemu Likonen <address@hidden> wrote:

> Sanjib Sikder [2012-10-18 00:32:00 +0530] wrote:
>
> > Even after 26th minute, there is no sign of the code in work. Is it that
> > $HOME is not allowed and I need to give full path ?
>
> Ah, I thought that you'd run it from your personal crontab. So yes,
> write paths from root's point of view.

[I replied to Sanjib privately on the grounds that it's OT for the list,
 but let me add a couple of notes to this thread before we shut it off
 as completely OT: cron issues are hardly germane to org.]

o Adding personal items to root-owned crontabs is a *bad idea* indeed.

o One should try the script by hand before trying to incorporate it into cron:
  much easier to debug.

o cron operates in a restricted environment: just run `env' as a cron job to
  find out what it knows (hint: not much).

o Quite apart from cron issues, the backup method in the script is
  fundamentally flawed in my opinion: iiuc, it flattens the hierarchy,
  so if you have org files with the same name in different directories,
  only *one* will be saved into the backup directory - hardly a reliable
  backup.

Nick