Re: [O] org back up

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] org back up
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 02:14:42 +0200

Hello Sanjib and others,

Sorry to continue with this terribly off-topic thread, but as the person
who wrote that snippet I felt I should clarify.

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 03:36:42PM -0400, Nick Dokos wrote:
> Teemu Likonen <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Sanjib Sikder [2012-10-18 00:32:00 +0530] wrote:
> >
> > > Even after 26th minute, there is no sign of the code in work. Is it that
> > > $HOME is not allowed and I need to give full path ?
> >
> > Ah, I thought that you'd run it from your personal crontab. So yes,
> > write paths from root's point of view.
> >

> o Quite apart from cron issues, the backup method in the script is
>   fundamentally flawed in my opinion: iiuc, it flattens the hierarchy,
>   so if you have org files with the same name in different directories,
>   only *one* will be saved into the backup directory - hardly a reliable
>   backup.

If you look at the original thread, my solution was a suggestion for the
specific case[1] of the original poster of that thread.  This is _not_ a
reliable way to back up your files.  As others have mentioned, a
distributed version control system like git, mercurial or bazar would be
well suited.  However I personally believe in redundancy being the best
backup and use at least 3 ways to backup my org files: git, dropbox and
rsync to a different physical drive.

Footnotes:

[1] The OP wanted to aggregate all org files in his home area to a
    specific backup directory.

--
Suvayu