Re: [O] Web site bug

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] Web site bug
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 10:01:18 +0200

Simon Thum writes:
> Which is the recommended thing in what setup? If ELPA needs not even
> org, which AFAIK is not the case, then what? And what about git
> installs?
>
> I guess I'm wholly confused now.

You never needed to do anything extra for using Org as it comes with
Emacs, the autoloads are automatically loaded from loaddefs.el.  The
distribution contained an empty org-install for ease of transition.

The package manager generates and loads its own autoload file
(org-autoloads.el, it also re-generates org-loaddefs.el in 7.9.2 and
later), so again you don't need to do anything extra there.

If you were using a seperate Org install (from tarball or Git),
org-install needed to be loaded for getting the correct autoload
definitions.  With the introduction of org-loaddefs, things have become
muddled: in Emacs and with package manager, org-loaddefs only contains
those autoload definitions that become available _after_ Org has been
loaded, and the generally visible autoloads come from either loaddefs.el
or org-autoloads.el respectively.  The standalone Org does not have a
second autoload file for these first level autoloads, so they are rolled
into org-loaddefs as well.  As a result, you must now load org (which in
turn loads org-loaddefs).  I still think it would be better if Org had a
separate first-level autoloads file that must be explicitly required by
the user (and it would probably be easiest if it was still called
org-install).

Regards,
Achim.