Re: [O] OSX to PDF: Minimal Install

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] OSX to PDF: Minimal Install
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 16:02:06 -0400

Jambunathan K <address@hidden> wrote:

> Nathan Neff <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'd like to convert org-mode documents to PDF using the exporter,
> > on OSX, but it appears that I'd have to download MacTex which is a 2GB
> > download.  Is there anything smaller that I could download in order to
> > be able to
> > export org documents to PDF?
>
> Install LibreOffice and follow instructions in this thread:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2012-09/msg00027.html

I did a quick and dirty calculation on my Ubuntu 11.04 system like this:

,----
| $ apt-cache show libreoffice-* | grep Installed | awk '{ total += $2;} END
{print total;}'
| 6026311
| $ apt-cache show texlive-* | grep Installed | awk '{ total += $2;} END {print
total;}'
| 1419784
`----

So if Nathan objects to 2GB of TeX, I presume 6GB would be 3 (or perhaps
4, given my numbers) times more unacceptable :-)

Caveats:

o I haven't checked the calculation at all (not even to make sure the
  units are KB) - but the relative size of the numbers is telling
  nevertheless.

o There may be lots of extraneous packages in the lists that one could
  omit and that might make a big difference in the final numbers.

o Nathan may have Libre Office already installed for other reasons, in
  which case size considerations are moot.

Nick