Re: [O] things I don't understand about tables

From: Jude DaShiell
Subject: Re: [O] things I don't understand about tables
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 19:43:39 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012, Nick Dokos wrote:

> Jude DaShiell <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Why is it when I try putting a date in this table using the calendar I get
> > no date entered when in a blank field and hear the message:
> > Before first headline at position 376 in buffer medlog.org
> >

> How are you trying to insert the date?
>
> This error is usually produced because some function is trying to do an
> org-back-to-heading, i.e. the function does not expect the table to be
> at top level. In particular, C-c C-d (org-deadline) and C-c C-s (org-schedule)
> *want* a headline and insert the scheduling information after the headline,
> not in the table.
>
> OTOH, I tried entering a date into a table at top level with C-c .
> which is bound to org-time-stamp, and the date gets inserted with no error
> (and S-RET also works to increment the date in subsequent rows as
> Michael Brand mentioned)
>
> Org-mode version 7.9.2 (release_7.9.2-577-gb0a051 @
> /home/nick/elisp/org-mode/lisp/)
>
> Nick

jude <address@hidden>
Adobe fiend for failing to Flash

First I try with c-c c-d that didn't get me into the calendar.  Next I try
with c-c . and that got me into the calendar and on current date.
Unfortunately, c-b c-b failed to move me two days back from the current
date.  This is with emacs 24.x on debian.