Re: [O] Bug? R: Org babel block execution *drastically* slower than in E

From: Aaron Ecay
Subject: Re: [O] Bug? R: Org babel block execution *drastically* slower than in ESS session directly
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 01:32:25 -0500

2012ko azaroak 13an, John Hendy-ek idatzi zuen:

[...]
> Crazy. I really wondered if it had something to do with trying to spit
> out the results into the minibuffer. Why is that behavior included?

“:results silent” just means “silent except for the minibuffer”; IDK
why.

> Are you sure it's only on file import? I was generating some large
> output when I first experienced this.

Yes, that’s what I meant (and didn’t explain well).  Org writes R’s
output to a file, and then imports it into Emacs (to print in the
minibuffer).  But it also does an expensive transformation before
printing it – whence the slowdown.

> I have to
> change to the R buffer to see if there were any errors.

I agree that this is sub-optimal.

I seem to remember that ob-R.el is unmaintained (or was at some point in
the past).  Once there is consensus on what a fix should look like, I
can attempt to produce a patch implementing it.  And I’ll take a crack
at error reporting in the minibuffer too.

--
Aaron Ecay