Re: [O] clickable text in org-mode not working (Sebastien Vauban)

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] clickable text in org-mode not working (Sebastien Vauban)
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 16:14:20 +0100

Hi John,

John Kitchin wrote:
> Sebastien Vauban wrote:
>> John Kitchin wrote:
>>> It appears that one cannot define "clickable" text in org-mode. I was
>>> trying to make some text in an org-file respond to different types of
>>> clicking. I know that links provide some functionality for this, but
>>> out of curiosity I wanted to see what else I could do.
>>>
>>> If I run the following code on a buffer in text-mode, the first four
>>> characters in the buffer turn blue with a white background, they turn
>>> a light green when the mouse is over them, and finally a message box
>>> pops up when I click on the characters.
>>>
>>> (let ((map (make-sparse-keymap)))
>>>      (define-key map (kbd "<down-mouse-1>")
>>>             '(lambda() (interactive) (message-box "it works!")))
>>>      (add-text-properties 1 5 `(keymap, map
>>>                                 font-lock-face (:foreground "blue"
>>>                                                 :background "white")
>>>                                 mouse-face highlight)))
>>>
>>> If I switch to org-mode, the clickability and mouse highlighting go
>>> away. They also do not appear when I run the function in an
>>> org-buffer.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know if there is a feature in org-mode that turns this
>>> off, or if there is a way to get the clickability to work? Is it
>>> related to having links that are clickable?
>>
>> I'm not sure to understand your use case -- why do you want clickable text in
>> the first place (other than links)?
>>
>> But, did you look at `org-add-link-type' which does allow some kind of
>> powerful stuff (mainly for export, but can maybe be diverted from its
>> original
>> purpose)?
>>
>> I guess you also are aware of the elisp and shell links you can already put
>> in
>> any Org file, as clickable "buttons"?
>
> I was just learning about programming interactive features into emacs
> buffers, and something that worked in one major mode did not work in
> org-mode. I have narrowed it down to an effect of font-lock-mode. When that
> is off, the mouse-clicking works fine, when it is on, the font syntax
> highlighting works fine, but not the clicking in org-mode.
>
> In terms of usage, I could see this as a way to automatically make "links"
> out of different words, or in a related application to overlay tooltips on
> specific words without having to markup the org-file. In essence, moving
> some markup to a lisp file that is run before opening the org-file.
>
> I am familiar with `org-add-link-type' and have used that to do some pretty
> cool things, as well as the elisp and shell links. With the clickable text
> code I described, you can actually do different things with different mouse
> clicks, including different mouse buttons, and presumably on mouse button up
> events. It is not obvious that can be done with `org-add-link-type'; you get
> the same behavior with any mouse button click. I havent advanced to a point
> where I could get emacs-lisp to tell me which mouse event occurred on
> clicking on a link. That seems possible though.

Thanks for giving more information about what you're looking for.

However, I must admit having no experience in that. Sorry. But, if I had to
try and understand why your above code does not work, I would first give a
deep look at some agenda commands: I know they *do* use "text properties" (for
handling the clicks on the agenda line, in particular). These could help you
achieving your goal, maybe?

Best regards,
  Seb

--