[O] refiling, ido-mode, and creating projects

From: Alan Schmitt
Subject: [O] refiling, ido-mode, and creating projects
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 09:25:20 +0100

Hello,

I found out that using ido-mode is very useful for refiling. However
there is one thing I don't know how to do: how to create a parent node
in this setup.

Here is my configuration (straight from the usual
http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html)

#+BEGIN_SRC elisp
; Use full outline paths for refile targets - we file directly with IDO
(setq org-refile-use-outline-path t)

; Targets complete directly with IDO
(setq org-outline-path-complete-in-steps nil)

; Allow refile to create parent tasks with confirmation
(setq org-refile-allow-creating-parent-nodes (quote confirm))

; Use IDO for both buffer and file completion and ido-everywhere to t
(setq org-completion-use-ido t)
(setq ido-everywhere t)
(setq ido-max-directory-size 100000)
(ido-mode (quote both))
#+END_SRC

Let's say I already have an entry "Work/Trips" and I want to refile some
task to a new "Paris" project under "Trips". If I "C-c C-w" and type
"Trips", I can see that the entry is selected. However, I don't know how
to say "select this entry and let me type some more to add to it". If I
continue typing "/Paris" I get a "no match" and an error
"org-refile-check-position: Please save the buffer to a file before
refiling" (which probably happens because I'm inside the agenda, and the
refiling target "Trpis/Paris" makes no sense).

I tried doing a "C-f" as when using ido with find-file, but it does not
do anything.

Any suggestion?

Thanks,

Alan