Re: [O] hiding footnotes

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] hiding footnotes
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 00:00:15 -0500

42 147 <address@hidden> wrote:

> Very nice.
>
> However, I'd like to write a function that toggles the color value (without
> recourse to the customize menu), since it would be useful to highlight the
> footnotes from time to time.

Anything that can be done interactively can also be done
programatically. You know what face you are dealing with, you can get
its foreground color with face-foreground, and you can set it with
set-face-attribute. A crude implementation to show the basic outline:

(setq org-footnote-fg-color (face-foreground 'org-footnote))

(setq org-text-fg-color (face-foreground 'default))

(defun my-toggle-footnote-fg-color ()
  "Toggle the org-footnote face foreground color."
  (interactive)
  (let ((fg (face-foreground 'org-footnote)))
    (if (string-equal fg org-footnote-fg-color)
        (set-face-attribute 'org-footnote nil :foreground org-text-fg-color)
      (set-face-attribute 'org-footnote nil :foreground
org-footnote-fg-color))))

The difficulties start (but do not end) with footnotes in all sorts of
weird places (e.g. headlines) with all sorts of different
fontifications. You'd want to blend the footnote with its immediate
surroundings.

Taking care of such situations (and various others that the above code
mishandles) is left as an exercise...

Nick