Re: [O] org-caldav: Sync Org with external calendars through CalDAV (Own

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: [O] org-caldav: Sync Org with external calendars through CalDAV (Owncloud, Google, ...)
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 20:27:22 +0100

Suvayu Ali writes:
> On Mon, Dec 03, 2012 at 08:50:35PM +0100, David Engster wrote:
>> I'm at a loss why this happens, and I could not reproduce it with my
>> account. This problem really has nothing to do with org-caldav, since it
>> is delegating this part to the url package. As I've already written to
>> Bastien, please try
>>
>>  (url-retrieve-synchronously
>>    "https://www.google.com/calendar/dav/address@hidden/events/";)
>>
>> If this doesn't ask for your username, then there's your
>> problem. Depending on the Emacs version you're using, you might want to
>> set
>>
>> (setq auth-source-debug t)
>>
>> to see whether some .netrc file or similar is setting the username for
>> you (look into the *Messages* buffer).
>>

> I see the same issue, I get only a password prompt.  This is what I get
> on trying your suggestion above.
>
> Contacting host: www.google.com:443
> auth-source-search: found 1 results (max 1) matching (:max 1 :host
> "www.google.com:443" :port "https")
> auth-source-search: found 1 CACHED results matching (:max 1 :host
> "www.google.com:443" :port "https")
> #<buffer  *http www.google.com:443*-771021>
>
> I'm not sure from this if my netrc is being used.

Yes. The mesage "found 1 results" means it found an entry in your .netrc
or .authinfo which matches.

>  My netrc also has the password for my Google account, if it is being
> used should I even get a password prompt?

The auth-source stuff can be a bit tricky. For https connections with
the URL package, you need to use the following

  machine www.google.com:443 port https login USERNAME password PASS

That's no typo: You have to use ":443" as well as "port https". See also

 (info "(auth)Help for users")

-David