Re: [O] The statement on what is orgmode.

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: [O] The statement on what is orgmode.
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 20:33:14 +0530

Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:

> Vikas Rawal <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> One remedy, to this, and a thing I think would be nice in any case,
>>> would be if keywords in the presenting sentence would link to (worg?)
>>> feature pages.
>>
>> Another possibility would be to make the title just say "Org mode".
>>
>> And the first headline, before "Download and install", be something
>> like the following:
>>
>> * Org mode is useful for
>> ** Organising projects
>> ** Maintaining TODO lists and calendars
>> ** Keeping notes
>> ** Creating high quality formatted documents
>> ** Literate programming
>>
>> Each of the above could then be linked to relevant pages of the manual
>> or worg.
>
> I like this -- it seems like the best crash-landing strategy for
> new users is to give them a single comforting phrase to look at (I liked
> the old "your life in plain text"), and then a concise list of things
> that org does, like the above.

When description becomes boring what is needed is a catchy phrase that
stirs up imagination.

    "Free/Libre Digital diary for DIY nuts/ Gen Z geeks/ nerds"

Freemind can create nice looking Mindmaps.

May be the above outline can be converted to a freemind which expands
and shrinks magically.

ps: I have org-e-freemind.el based on new exporter almost done.  It just
requires some tweaking before it lands.