[O] correct spaces after colons with LaTeX

From: David P. Moulton
Subject: [O] correct spaces after colons with LaTeX
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 12:41:04 -0500 (EST)

Hi LaTeX org-moders.

I'm trying to get a non-sentence-ending space after a colon in LaTeX
with org-mode.  When I put a backslash after a colon to get the ordinary
end-of-word space, org-mode changes it to "\backslash", which puts a
backslash in the text.  I also tried "\space", but that gave the large
space.  Similarly, ":~" was changed into ":\tilde".

Is there some way I can escape my backslash so that org-mode will pass
it to LaTeX as an actual backslash?  Or is there another good way to
get org-mode to tell LaTeX that I'm not ending a sentence with my colon?

Thanks,
David Moulton