Re: [O] When facts change

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] When facts change
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 20:01:42 +0100

Rasmus writes:

>>> If the facts have been changing once, I can wait for them to change
>>> again.  Or they may not even be facts after all. :-)
>
> Perhaps that opinion is too dear for some practitioner, as Lord Keynes
> was when he allegedly spoke those words.  What if the 'facts' only
> converge back to your preferred state in the long run, when we are all
> dead? :)

The original quote[1] is really a lot better and I have much more trust
in its accuracy than the later quote you gave:

"When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?"

I don't know why it was altered to the second, I'll give that it is
punchier at first sight due to that double "change", but it makes a lot
less sense.  It may have been saved if it started "When I learn of new
facts,…", but that loses some punch again.

[1] https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/John_Maynard_Keynes

Regards,
Achim.