Re: [O] Emacs 22 compatibility

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] Emacs 22 compatibility
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 18:44:48 +0100

Bastien writes:
> I think a reasonable expectation is to be fully compatible with
> the last two major versions of GNU Emacs (23 and 24).

It would help if I managed to get Emacs 23 to compile Org… but since
some people on the list are still using Emacs23 and they don't report
problems I'm assuming it's rather something in my build ATM, although
I've built Emacs 23 with the same parameters before (just a different
compiler).

>  For Emacs 22 and XEmacs, if we have people using these Emacsen, maybe
> they can help?

Emacs 22 is already broken in non-trivial ways AFAICS and the question
is if its worth the effort to unbreak it.  There are some things I've
looked at (like macro expansion inside a macro, as it is used in
org-odt) that should work, but apparently don't.  I have no idea if the
byte-code that is generated has a chance of working, but it looks quite
strange.  UTF-8 support is another sore point that currently shoots down
startup of the test suite if I interpret the error messages correctly.

I'm not sure which is the last version that fully works with Emacs 22,
even to find that out would take quite some time.

> I'm reluctant to drop support for Emacs 22/XEmacs as it would
> block those volunteers.

I have somewhat more hope for XEmacs, although many of the newer
additions to Org would need to be reviewed for compatibility problems.

Regards,
Achim.