Re: [O] elp-instrument-package does not return anything

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] elp-instrument-package does not return anything
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 03:47:51 +0100

Hi Sébastien,

"Sebastien Vauban"
<address@hidden> writes:

> Generating the agenda for 43 files, and more or less 75 entries to display,
> takes between 17 and 20 seconds, in this case 19 seconds:
>
> org-agenda-list                                               1
> 19.156        19.156
> org-agenda-prepare                                            1
> 11.141        11.141
> org-agenda-prepare-buffers                                    1
> 11.078        11.078
> org-get-agenda-file-buffer                                    344
> 11.064000000  0.0321627906
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is the most significant entry for me: it tells that Emacs on your
machine takes quite a lot of time to access files.  May be due to your
harddrive and your computer...

> [...]
> org-diary-sexp-entry                                          714
> 0.3280000000  0.0004593837
> org-flag-drawer                                               1396
> 0.2970000000  0.0002127507
> org-before-first-heading-p                                    2602
> 0.2820000000  0.0001083781
> org-outline-level                                             4313
> 0.265         6.14...e-005
> org-cycle-show-empty-lines                                    86
> 0.2050000000  0.0023837209
> org-agenda-finalize-entries                                   4
> 0.203         0.05075
> org-macro-initialize-templates                                43
> 0.1730000000  0.0040232558
> org-get-tags-at                                               84
> 0.1710000000  0.0020357142
> org-up-heading-safe                                           225
> 0.14          0.0006222222
> org-entries-lessp                                             372
> 0.14          0.0003763440
> org-all-targets                                               43
> 0.138         0.0032093023
> org-update-radio-target-regexp                                43
> 0.138         0.0032093023
> org-babel-hide-all-hashes                                     43
> 0.127         0.0029534883
> org-time-string-to-time                                       168
> 0.125         0.0007440476
> org-closest-date                                              161
> 0.11          0.0006832298
> org-agenda-format-item                                        84
> 0.109         0.0012976190
> org-in-src-block-p                                            4636
> 0.093         2.00...e-005
> org-file-contents                                             16
> 0.093         0.0058125
> org-agenda-align-tags                                         1
> 0.093         0.093
> org-agenda-finalize                                           1
> 0.093         0.093
> org-refresh-category-properties                               43
> 0.092         0.0021395348
> org-set-visibility-according-to-property                      43
> 0.078         0.0018139534
> org-fit-window-to-buffer                                      1
> 0.078         0.078
> org-agenda-skip-eval                                          9124
> 0.078         8.54...e-006
> org-agenda-fit-window-to-buffer                               1
> 0.078         0.078
> outline-flag-region                                           1672
> 0.078         4.66...e-005
> org-agenda-highlight-todo                                     84
> 0.063         0.00075
> org-agenda-todayp                                             609
> 0.062         0.0001018062
>
> Is this normal?  For a 6-year old laptop?

... but for a 6 yo computer, I'd say it's mostly related to the
harddrive.  At this stage, putting on the entries in a single file will
boost things *a lot*.  (Less calls to org-get-agenda-file-buffer, to
org-mode, etc.)

> In particular, when looking at the top entries:
>
> org-agenda-list                                               1
> 19.156        19.156
> org-agenda-prepare                                            1
> 11.141        11.141
> org-agenda-prepare-buffers                                    1
> 11.078        11.078
> org-get-agenda-file-buffer                                    344
> 11.064000000  0.0321627906
> org-agenda-get-day-entries                                    301
> 7.5179999999  0.0249767441
> org-agenda-get-scheduled                                      301
> 4.5180000000  0.0150099667
> org-mode                                                      43
> 3.7710000000  0.0876976744
>
> I'm amazed by:
>
> - the difference between the 3 seconds for the 43 calls to `org-mode' and the
>   final 19 seconds for the list to be displayed

3 secs for 43 calls to org-mode is already quite a lot...

> - the difference as well between the top 2 functions: `org-agenda-prepare'
>   "only" takes 11 seconds, while `org-agenda-list' consumes another
>   8 seconds...
>
> Any comment on this?

Well, apart from gathering entries in less files, and apart from
wishing that I have some time to try to optimize the agenda generation,
I cannot comment that much :/

--
 Bastien