Re: [O] Bug: Table export to [tc]sv doesn't convert \vert [7.8.11]

From: Nathan Trapuzzano
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Table export to [tc]sv doesn't convert \vert [7.8.11]
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 23:01:04 -0500

Of course the particular implementation will have to be seen before it
can be accepted, but I'd like to get the spec accepted (provisionally)
before setting to work on it.

Here's what I propose:

1. Do away with \vert{} entirely, leaving just \vert as an escape
sequence standing for |, no matter where it appears. \vert{}
unnecesarily complicates things, in my opinion.

2. The escape sequence must itself be escapable, wherefore I propose
to give the backslash special meaning in front of the string
"vert". Specifically:

  a. An even number of consecutive backslashes followed by "vert"
  stands for that number of backslashes divided by two followed by
  "vert".

  b. An odd number of consecutive backslashes followed by "vert"
  stands for that many backslashes integer-divided by two, followed by
  "|".

For example, "\vert" exports to "|", "\\vert" to "\vert", "\\\vert" to
"\|", "\\\\vert" to "\\vert", and so on. Obviously, upon importing,
the reverse of the above will be carried out.

Nathan