Re: [O] Babel related bug in elpa version 20121231

From: Robert Horn
Subject: Re: [O] Babel related bug in elpa version 20121231
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2013 11:40:49 -0500

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> I also wish Emacs can read an ~/.emacs.org init file.

That is what the starterkit for emacs 24 is attempting to do.  It's got
a ~/init.el that is just
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(setq starter-kit-dir
      (file-name-directory (or load-file-name (buffer-file-name))))

;; load up the starter kit
(org-babel-load-file (expand-file-name "starter-kit.org"
starter-kit-dir))
#+end_src

All of my problems seem to arise from the bad interactions between
starting with the built-in package version of org that is used by the
org-babel-load-file, and then transitioning part way through its
execution of the starter-kit.org to the elpa updated version of org.
The result is much like a mixed version install of org.  Strange things
go wrong.

I like having the nicely formatted and documented setup that I get with
an export to html of the org files that contain the startup scripts. My
intended mode of operation is to have a customized set of starterkit.org
files that can apply to everyone, with each user also having a
~/.emacs.d/<user>.org and a ~/.emacs.d/<machine>.org to provide further
user customizations, including per machine variations for users who need
different setups on different machines.

R Horn
address@hidden