Re: [O] [BUG] `org-load-noerror-mustsuffix´ is n ot defined, introduced

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: [O] [BUG] `org-load-noerror-mustsuffix´ is n ot defined, introduced by 5484a33b
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 21:17:37 +0100

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> Thorsten Jolitz writes:
>> I do have my bad experiences with mixed installations, so the first
>> thing I do when I install or update Emacs is to trash the Org-mode that
>> comes with Emacs and replace it with a symlink to the git version.
>
> What you do doesn't work the way you think it does, since you're not
> updating loaddefs.el — you've created a train wreck waiting to happen.
> Leave the Emacs install alone and properly install Org into site-lisp.

I would rather not like to see that train wreck.

Which loaddefs.el do you refer to? This one:

,--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  | /usr/share/emacs/24.2/lisp:
  | -rw-r--r--  1 root root 1265779 18. Nov 08:38 loaddefs.el
  | lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      26 30. Apr 2012  org ->
/home/tj/gitclone/org-mode

`--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

or this one:

,-----------------------------------------------
| home/tj/gitclone/org-mode/lisp/org-loaddefs.el
`-----------------------------------------------

I don't know which one is updated when I run 'make autoloads' in
'home/tj/gitclone/org-mode/', but even if the
'/usr/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/loaddefs.el' doesn't get updated in the
process, where is the desaster looming if there is only one single
Org-mode installation on the machine? And what about runnung 'make
autoloads' in ' /usr/share/emacs/24.2/lisp' after replacing the org
folder with a symlink?

I would like to understand this better to avoid future trouble.

--
cheers,
Thorsten