Re: [O] Problem exporting code

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] Problem exporting code
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 21:01:26 -1000

Ken Williams <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 5:02 PM, John Hendy <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 21, 2013 4:51 PM, "Ken Williams" <address@hidden> wrote:
>> >
>> > It's been a while since I've used this machine, so I'd updated to the
>> latest Aquamacs, but it looks like Aquamacs itself hasn't seen a release in
>> over a year.  That's probably part of the problem.  I wonder if there's
>> something else filling the niche these days?
>>
>> I've been using this:
>> - http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/en/emacs/mac/
>>

> Ah!  I've been using his Emacs for Windows at work, I didn't notice there
> was a Mac one too.  Thanks for the pointer.

Interesting, this Emacs distribution removed Org a few days ago. I'm not
certain why the distributor refers to this as "a rather drastic
measure." From my perspective as a user, whose interests required using
the git version of Org from the beginning, the Emacs distribution of Org
has been nothing but trouble, leading to perplexing (for me) problems
with mixed installs that I would rather have avoided.

I've enjoyed reading the mailing list for the last two or three years
and in that time can only remember a few times that the Org that ships
with Emacs was recommended. Typically, advice on the list recommends
using the git version, instead.

Installation of the git version is *easy* now, even for someone with my
limited skills. I didn't have any luck with the ELPA version when it
first came out, but the ELPA system works great and it seems like an
ideal channel to distribute Org. So, even a user like me has very little
difficulty using a non-Emacs version of Org.

I'm sure there are reasons for wanting Org to be distributed with Emacs.
Would it be OK for me to ask on the list what they are?

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye