Re: [O] How to track down "No heading for this item in buffer or region.

From: Gregor Zattler
Subject: Re: [O] How to track down "No heading for this item in buffer or region."?
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 17:23:11 +0100

Hi Bastien,
* Bastien <address@hidden> [24. Jan. 2013]:
> Gregor Zattler <address@hidden> writes:
>> my agenda shows a line:
>>
>> "No heading for this item in buffer or region."
>
> It means the agenda contains tasks like
>
> * TODO
>
> with no heading.
>
>> how should I track down the problematic part of my org files?
>
> You can run this in your Org buffer:
>
> M-: (while (and (re-search-forward org-complex-heading-regexp nil t)
> (match-string 4))) RET
>
> It will stop at the problematic headlines.

That really helped to eliminate all empty headlines.  I later
checked via

egrep -- "^[*]+[[:space:]]*$"

on my agenda files that there are no further empty headlines.

But alas, the message "No heading for this item in buffer or
region." still appears two times in my agenda -- for today.

When I move the cursor over this lines a message appears in the
echo area:

byte-code: Before first headline at position 64 in buffer org.org [14 times]

The second line of org.org begins at character 64 in the buffer.
It's a timestamp:

#Time-stamp: <2013-01-24 16:30:39 grfz>

Till recently this was no problem since it is a comment line.
Obviously org-mode somehow interprets this timestamp, since the
messages disappeared after I changed the time stamp delimiter from
`<' and `>' respectively to `"'.  I consider this to be a bug
since these time stamps are a standard Emacs feature and this
line is a comment org-mode-wise.

Thanks for your help to clean up my org files and tracking down
the offending lines in my org agenda files.

Ciao, Gregor
--