Re: [O] org-plus-contrib: Invalid function: org-no-popups

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] org-plus-contrib: Invalid function: org-no-popups
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 09:51:05 +0100

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> Bastien writes:
>> I already suggested to *not* use ELPA at all for now.
>
> I happen to think that this suggestion goes too far (if you think nobody
> should use OIrg from ELPA, then you'd need to stop making it available
> there and hopefully we already agreed that this isn't an option).

No, we did not agreed this isn't an option.

I think this is an option.

> There
> is actually no problem with ELPA when you install Org from it before
> you've used Org (it wasn't designed to cope with any other situation).
> In most cases that means simply using a fresh Emacs instance to install
> Org from ELPA is good enough.  In those cases where Org is loaded during
> initialization (and systems doing that really shouldn't do this before
> package-initialize or else unload any features they have needed), one
> can resort to 'emacs -Q' if the package directory has not been changed
> from the defaults or '(unload-feature 'org t)' when that would be a
> concern.

How can you make sure that Org-mode has not been used before people
want to install an updated version through GNU/Org ELPA?

I can't think of any good way.

Until someone have an idea about this, I'm very serious about removing
the possibility of installing Org through ELPA.  But as I said I won't
do this before getting a sense of what the users use and expect.

--
 Bastien