Re: [O] About range references in the spreadsheet

From: Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: [O] About range references in the spreadsheet
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 23:44:26 +0100

Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:

> Bastien <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi Xue, Eric and Dieter,
>>
>> address@hidden (H. Dieter Wilhelm) writes:
>>
>>> (I would avoid the ambiguous expression "column two" since it is a
>>> relative specification) alternatively
>>>
>>>   The TWO REFERENCES expand to a field range from the row above the
>>>   current row, starting with two columns to the left up to the current
>>>   column.
>>
>> Yes... but this is a bit long.
>>
>> I finally used this:
>>
>> @@-1$-2..@@-1   @r{in the first row up, 3 fields from 2 columns on the left}
>
> Concise and correct!  I'm happy with this.

Sorry but I don't understand "in the first row up".  Maybe better: The
(or a) row up, 3...

Another grievance with such a terse description for me is although it
may describe the end result - the range - correctly but does not take
into account how the references at hand are working.

But maybe I'm just picking nits here :-)

What about such an approach:

@@-1$-2..@@-1 @r{a range of 3 fields: a row up, from 2 fields on the left .. a
row up}

      Dieter