Re: [O] bbdb or bbdb3 or org-contacts

From: Daimrod
Subject: Re: [O] bbdb or bbdb3 or org-contacts
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 18:59:39 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> Daimrod <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Bastien <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Hi Dieter,

>>> BBDB is great.  org-contacts.el is too slow when you have many
>>> contacts, and it is not really maintained anymore.
>>
>> I've started to use org-contacts.el. I haven't (yet) problem with its
>> speed but I've improved the completion mecanism which prevented me to
>> use it. When I'll finish to document/comment it, I'll post it here.
>
> I would be very interested in having a look.

See the attached patch files. I still need to need to take into account
what could be after the cursor
      vvvvvv ATM I only use this
From: John [cursor]D
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ But I would like to use this

But it mostly works.

> I migrated from bbdb to org-contacts, but it turned out to be too slow,
> so now I mostly isearch for the contact I want.
>
> Recently I've bee thinking of trying a strategy where bbdb could act as
> a cache for org-contacts, but I havent tried it yet. It shouldnt be too
> hard I think. org-contacts can generate a list of all contacts, that you
> then iterate and generate the bbdb database from. It might be a useful
> addition in any case.

I was thinking to add a cache mecanism directly to `org-contacts.el'. It
would load the content of the contacts files the first time into the
appropriate structure and then reread the files only when they changed.

Moreover, `org-contacts.el' doesn't use the new parser from
`org-element.el' ATM, and using it might improve the performance too.

PS: Sorry for the double patch files but the `org-reverse-string' part
hasn't been merged yet and I use it.

Daimrod/Greg