Re: [O] LaTeX-export: letters after $..$ turn off math-mode

From: Greg Minshall
Subject: Re: [O] LaTeX-export: letters after $..$ turn off math-mode
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2013 06:51:56 -0500

hi.  this was on the list a year ago (see below).

i'd like to plead the case of allowing the user to suppress dollar-sign
behavior (or, force dollar-signs to mean math-mode).

the main reason is convenience: when trying to quickly write up
thoughts, typing "$ a = b^2 $" is just that much more convenient/easier
than typing "\( a = b^2 \)".  (maybe because the former uses half the
number of "off-home-row" keys?  maybe just because my fingers are
programmed to do this?)

second, (this is rhetoric) why privilege the dollar currency?  third
(more rhetoric), there are certainly many communities that believe that
$..$ is equivalent to \(..\), so new users will continually show up thus
programmed.

so, if there were a way of disabling the current dollar sign processing,
that would be great!

cheers, Greg
----
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2012-02/msg00269.html