Re: [O] [ANN] Merge of new export framework on Wednesday

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] [ANN] Merge of new export framework on Wednesday
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 22:56:10 +0100

On Mon, Feb 04, 2013 at 08:49:28AM -0500, David Bjergaard wrote:

> Detlef Steuer <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> > If there are no docs at all I, as a simple user, would suggest to
> > postpone the release till after some usage notes are available.
> >
> > Alternatively keep the old exporter alive , please, till the new one
> > has documentation. (or the migration path has documentation)

[...]

> If you rely on org-mode for some production-level things, wouldn't it be
> most prudent to wait until the new exporter was shipped and fully tested
> before migrating your work setup?  You'll still have all the
> documentation for the older version in the mean time, and once the new
> documentation is written, you'll be able to migrate with fewer
> problems.

I would echo this sentiment.  Org mode from master has no business in a
production environment, just like any other software project.  You can
still keep using the latest stable release of Org (or even the tip of
the maint branch) in production.  And once everything is ready
(including docs) for the new exporter, it will be released and possibly
shipped with Emacs.  You can easily switch then.

Is there any particular reason for you to use master in production?

Cheers,

--
Suvayu