Re: [O] LaTeX-export: letters after $..$ turn off math-mode

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] LaTeX-export: letters after $..$ turn off math-mode
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 16:26:30 +0100

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> FWIW I'm not in favor of removing the ability to inline $x^2$
> and to deprecate the use of $ completely.  If this flexibility
> is not too problematic (from a maintainance point of view), I'd
> say it's fine to keep it.

While I agree that \(·\) is the preferred and Rightᵀᴹ delimiter pair I
almost always use $·$ in place if I can get away with it.  Thus, if
the maintenance cost is low I would prefer if it stayed.

Using the patch posted by Nicolas last week (i.e. (re)introducing
org-highlight-latex-and-special) there's even visual feedback as to
when Org will correctly identify $·$.

/If/ a mechanism existed to easily use \(·\) I would be all for
ditching $·$ as it clearly inferior (legacy documents can quickly be
fixed via a regexp replacement, if needed).  For instance, in ESS
there is ess-smart-underscore where, depending on the context,
pressing "_" will usually do the right thing.  For Instance $ could
insert \(·\) or $ first (depending on the variable
org-export-care-about-usd).  On region it would always put it inside
\(·\).  But it might be messy, I'm not really sure.

–Rasmus

--
C is for Cookie