Re: [O] [Feature Request] Cross headings in tables

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] [Feature Request] Cross headings in tables
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 20:41:37 +0100

Nicolas Goaziou writes:
> You only need to modify org-element if Org syntax has been changed.

Yes, thats exactly what I want.

>>  Also, it appears that each element can have only one property or did
>> I miss something? It seems that having a way to get the (main)
>> property and then asking if there are sub-properties on that element
>> would allow simpler code in this particular instance and likely
>> elsewhere. Maybe I missed how to do it, though.
>
> I don't understand that part.

(org-element-property :type row)

This will return a single symbol 'standard or 'rule inside a table.  If
there was a way to ask "which kind of rule" later, this would enable a
much more elegant implementation.

>   http://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-export-reference.html
>
> for a list of all properties associated to a given element or object
> type.

So you are saying that a table row could get an additional property to
record which rule-type it has and whether it is a header row or not?

> I think the cleanest way to implement this would be to _not_ modify Org
> syntax, because it is export back-end very specific.

This is an impressive hack, but is largely unuseable IMHO.  And whether
a table row is a header or not is certainly not back-end specific or at
least it shouldn't be: the back-end gets told if it should format a
table row as a header or as a normal row and that code is all in ox.
The only other part of the code that needs to know which row groups are
headers is when column formulas are involved.

The original hack tried to keep things backwards compatible, but I think
that it would have merit to allow tables with separators that don't
introduce any headers (as several people have asked for in the past) and
that simply isn't in the cards with the current syntax.  So, a row group
would only be a header when the following rule was "|~" and the first
row group wouldn't need to be special any more.

Regards,
Achim.