[O] [Bug] Export Coding System

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: [O] [Bug] Export Coding System
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 10:28:13 +0000 (UTC)

I've ran into this before, but I guess I wasn't able to clearly explain what the
issue was at the time... so let's try again.

I'm exporting an Org file in UTF-8 to LaTeX.  Unless I switch the coding system
in Emacs from "default" to "UTF-8" (which has the side effect that any new
buffer will have UTF-8 coding, which is usually not what I want), the LaTeX
buffer gets created with ISO8859-1/latin-1 encoding (which is dead wrong,
because several characters in the document are in fact not representable in that
encoding).  Changing the option "Org Export Latex Coding System" to utf-8
doesn't change how the LaTeX buffer gets created, but it will then helpfully ask
when its time to save the buffer if I want to save it as UTF-8 (no, I want it
created with UTF-8, not changed to a different encoding on save).  That salvages
a few characters, but the larger damage of \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc} doesn't
get changed of course.

The coding system of any export buffers should by default follow the Org buffer
they are created from and any changes to the coding system stipulated by export
configuration must be applied before the buffer coding system gets used to make
any decisions on how to export things.

Regards,
Achim.