Re: [O] [Bug] Export Coding System

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [Bug] Export Coding System
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 17:23:46 +0100

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou <at> gmail.com> writes:
>> IIUC, there is no such thing as a coding system associated to a buffer.
>> A coding system only kicks in when doing some I/O operation.
>
> The coding system should be associated with the file the buffer is visiting,
> but
> a fresh buffer still shows a coding system indicator in the modeline even if
> it
> is not (yet) associated with a file.  That coding system always seems to be
> the
> default coding system as provided by the language environment.
>
>> Anyway, with the same context described above, what's the return value
>> for:
>>
>>   (detect-coding-string (org-export-as 'latex) t)
>
> Depends on what language environment is set to, but with the default setting
> of
> my Emacs (German) it becomes iso-latin-1, independently of what the coding
> system in the original Org buffer was.

In this case, it should be `utf-8', shouldn't it?

> I think that the export buffer coding system should be explicitly set (via
> buffer-file-coding-system, which is automatically buffer-local) to copy the
> coding of the parent buffer (or the coding specified via export options if
> anything like that exists) so that the default choice of the language
> environment doesn't kick in.

Still trying to understand: is the coding system wrong when you export
to a file, to a (temporary) buffer, or both?

Note that `org-export-to-file' use `coding-system-for-write', which
overrides `buffer-file-coding-system'. So this variable is probably
irrelevant here.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou