Re: [O] Warning with latest git pull

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] Warning with latest git pull
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 14:00:52 +0100

Hi Achim,

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> Bastien writes:
>> And time-to-seconds seems absent -- but it seems absent from
>> *any* version of XEmacs I could check (21.4.1, 21.4.9, 21.5.9).
>
> No it's there, in gnus/time-date.elc — maybe your versions are all
> without Gnus?

Yes, my versions come without Gnus.  I directly downloaded them
from xemacs.org (which is completely outdated by the way.)

>> So yes, I think it's safe to remove this compat function.  Let me know
>> if you find time-to-seconds in <2010 versions of XEmacs.
>
> I don't know which version of XEmacs is still in use, much less together
> with Org (and again which version of Org).  I often see 21.4 versions
> installed in various places, but not how much use they are getting.  The
> 21.5b32 I have installed for rudimentary testing (I still havent managed
> to stop the stack explosion that prevents the test suite from running)
> is relatively recent, so I wouldn't put it as the benchmark of
> compatibility.
>
> XEmacs compatibility in master is anyway broken since your reversion
> 04eb4b08c3

If you see a way of re-reverting this without breaking the various way
to install Org in Emacs, let me know.

> and compatibility with Emacs 22 is on shaky grounds due to
> b63275350f.

org-condition-case-unless-debug is not in maint or master anymore,
so I guess this problem is gone.  Do you confirm this?

> So I'll ask this question again: which Emacs versions
> should Org 8 officially support?  If we stick with what we have now,
> we'll need to make it compatible again and at least try to get testing
> off the ground for XEmacs, if we drop older Emacsen we will need to
> remove the associated cruft from Org.  It's a few days of work either
> way, but with a possible release date approaching a decision is
> necessary.

"Official support" is useful to officially declare something as a
bug or not.  But I'm not sure it's worth officially declaring that we
officially support this version and not this one.  We are not Org LTS.
We are just a few random hackers trying to do and share their best :)

But you're right, we need to publicly set a goal, at least.

I hereby declare that I want Org to be fully functional for Emacs 23
and older, and I wish Org can be reasonably functional for Emacs <23
and XEmacs.  XEmacs users and Emacs-22 users, please help reporting
comptability bugs, or you'll be ignored till the Dawn of Apocalypse.

:)

--
 Bastien