Re: [O] Feature: Group and limit items in agenda

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: [O] Feature: Group and limit items in agenda
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 13:23:34 -0700

One other use here is to show a small random sample of your tasks
without affecting speed.

In before sorting filter function, set a pseudorandom number (biased
according to a distribution of your choice) on a text property.  You
can set some to appear always.

In the mapcar function, use user-defined sorting to sort according to
the numbers and limit to just the first 5.

Can defadvice be relied on to keep working in future versions of Org?

On 2/23/13, Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Muchenxuan,
>
> Muchenxuan Tong <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> There's a 'org-agenda-before-sorting-filter-function' variable.
>> However, I'm not able to use it for grouping things, because it's
>> used as '(mapcar org-agenda-before-sorting-filter-function list)'
>>
>> Would it be useful to add another function here, not used in
>> 'mapcar', but work directly on the whole list? I don't know whether
>> it is worthy, and I'm OK if that's not general enough to be added,
>> because I can use defadvice anyway :)
>
> Well, I guess you don't want the grouping to take place *before* the
> sorting, as the sorting may destroy it, so a defadvice is the way to
> go here I'd say.  If your defadvice can be useful for others, please
> consider adding it to Worg! (Just send me your public key and I'll
> give you write access to Worg.)
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
>  Bastien

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  ANYBODY
can get it.  There is no hope without action.