Re: [O] org-caldav can't find org-prepare-agenda-buffers

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] org-caldav can't find org-prepare-agenda-buffers
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 08:38:31 +0100

Hi David,

David Engster <address@hidden> writes:

> Of course I can fix this. But I hope you realize that any third-party
> code out there that requires an exporter will load the old one from
> Emacs proper.

Yes, I'm well aware of this.  The change now lives in the master
branch, and will happen when we release 8.0, hopefully in a not so
distant future.

We will document all incompatible changes in the release notes, as we
usually do.  I expect third-party maintainers to read these notes.

> I'm wondering why you felt the need to rename them. If the
> new exporters are compatible with the old ones, why not keep the names?
> This would also avoid that the provided feature differs from the used
> name prefix (ox-icalendar != org-icalendar).

There are several good reasons for this:

1) conflicting library names: we now have org-man.el (for links to man
   pages) and ox-man.el (for exporting);

2) using the dedicated prefix ox- makes it clear that the library is
   an export backend, the same way that the ob- prefix makes it clear
   it is to support a language for Org Babel.

In general, the change is incompatible for third-part libraries by is
clearly useful for future maintainance, so the trade-off was in favor
of making it, and 8.0 is a good time for it.

Best,

--
 Bastien