Re: [O] Tips for using orgmode + ledger to record events?

From: Jeffrey Brent McBeth
Subject: Re: [O] Tips for using orgmode + ledger to record events?
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 09:17:29 -0500

On Fri, Mar 01, 2013 at 01:11:59PM +0000, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> Harum Budi <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I was not being clear at all, sorry. Let me rephrase, but bear with me as
> > English is my secondary language.
>
> That's fine!
>
> I think I understand what you want.  My view would be to avoid having
> two files, an org one and a ledger one, and instead combine them into an
> org file.  You could create log capture templates for different kinds of
> activities and one of these could be financial.  This latter one could
> create a ledger src block that is automatically tangled to the full
> ledger file consisting of all such entries.  This is why I showed the
> ledger src blocks in my previous email.
>
> A financial entry could be
>
> ,----
> | * [2013-03-01 Fri] Bought a sandwich  :food:
> |   #+begin_src ledger :tangle "finances.ledger"
> |   2013/03/01 Bought a sandwich
> |     expenses  £3.50
> |     cash
> |   #+end_src
> `----
>
> or something similar...  You could still grep on headings but actually
> tag searching would be better of course.

I'm doing something rather similar with Ledger, and it all works really well
unless I want to export to HTML, in which case I've had to increase the max
lisp eval depth about once a week lately
(setq max-lisp-eval-depth 2400)

I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong there.  The datetree is not exported,
but reports are (I have an example of a report below):

#+name: savingscheckingsummary
#+begin_src ledger :cmdline balance esl:check savings -p "until tomorrow" :nowe$
<<budget>>
<<checking>>
<<savings>>
<<anotheraccount>>
<<creditcard>>
#+end_src

I find the noweb tangling to work really well for my purposes, and in
particular subsetting which bits I want exported to Ledger.

I've also included an example capture template

(setq org-capture-templates
  (append '(("l" "Ledger entries")
            ("lc" "Bank:Checking" plain
                 (file+datetree+prompt "~/Documents/Ledger.org")
"
#+name: checking
#+begin_src ledger
%(org-read-date) * %^{Payee}
    Expenses:%^{Account}  %^{Amount}
    Assets:Bank:Checking
#+end_src
"))))

--
"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over
 the man who cannot read them."