Re: [O] org-exp-bibtex missing in git?

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] org-exp-bibtex missing in git?
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 18:39:34 +0100

Bastien writes:
> I like Aaron's idea (maybe others proposed this too) of having
> parameters in links:

We've had some of this discussion about two years ago IIRC, so here I am
again: there's an internet standard for this kind of thing, it's called
URN/URI.  If we adhere to this, we can at least hope for
interoperability and outside tool support.  I don't think we should try
to invent something that is almost, but not entirely unlike the
standard.  (with apologies to the late Douglas N. Adams)

Back to citations, I don't know if an URI scheme for citations already
exists.  Citation tools are complicated because nobody really agrees on
what they should do exactly and there are many different citation
styles.

The common ground is that there is a key/handle for the citation itself
and then different fields for different types of citations to pull the
various bits of information together into an actual citation, in
whatever order and form that is prescribed.  If you're writing for the
Journal of Irreproducible Results and the Magazine of Things that go
Boom!, you'll likely have just two definitions that you will somehow
reference in the respective articles.  Here's what Wikipedia says is
around, and that surely is only the tip of the iceberg:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_reference_management_software

If there's no support for BibTeX however, you probably shouldn't play at
all.  BibTeX itself has a long and colored past:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BibTeX

That it is still used should be an indication that its basic principles
are sound.  The most interesting part of this history from the Org/Emacs
perspective is perhaps CL-BibTeX.  At least Bibsonomy.org has several
response formats for queries including JSON (and BibTeX, of course) and
lets you ask for the whole database entry and a pre-formatted citation.
I haven't payed close attention to Zotero, but I think they are doing
something similar.  So it might be possible today to simply (or not so
simply) have a reference scheme and have all the database and formatting
work done by one of these (or more likely several of them) services.
But even coming up with a good reference scheme (the "links with
parameters" part) for this will be a sizeable project.

Regards,
Achim.

DIY Stuff:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/DIY.html