Re: [O] org-export raises stringp nil error

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: [O] org-export raises stringp nil error
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 20:36:33 -0500

Bastien wrote:

> Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Assuming this is a recent regression, then if anyone from Org wants this
>> fixed in Emacs 24.3, they should investigate this very quickly and
>> suggest the _minimum_ change.
>
> The minimal fix is attached.
>
> The other attachment is the full patch I wanted to apply to merge
> Org 7.9.4 into Emacs 24.3.  The changes are all safe bugfixes.
>
> I assumed it was okay to fix bugs after the last pretest, is it so?

No, it is not ok, and I don't know why you would think it is.

"Release candidate" means "this IS the release unless something CRITICAL
occurs". I hoped my various posts to this list had made this clear. It's
also been the traditional policy of at least the more recent Emacs
releases as far as I know.

I should have been stricter in insisting that Org follow the same policy
as everybody else during pretesting, in only installing regression bug
fixes. I'm pretty sure this has not been happening, given the size and
nature of the changes that keep landing.

The reason for this policy is (obviously) to prevent inadvertently
introducing mistakes. This seems to be exactly what has bitten us in
this case, where your patch just reverts the change from

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-diffs/2013-02/msg00058.html

Was that fixing a regression? I doubt it.

Please apply the first patch as soon as possible.

The second includes stuff like deleting comments, declaring functions,
and changing autoload for "org-autoload". No, you may not apply this.

If there were any fixes in there for important regression bugs against
Emacs 24.2, please make a separate patch with just those items.