[O] RFC: Creating a new org-contrib.git repository

From: Bastien
Subject: [O] RFC: Creating a new org-contrib.git repository
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 11:02:27 +0100

Hi all,

the idea has been surfacing here and there on the list, time to get
your feedback on the idea and your help on its technical aspects.

I plan to extract org-contrib.git from org-mode.git.

The org-*tar.gz/zip packages would distribute the contrib/ directory
as they do now, so there would be no change for users installing from
these archives.

For users would use Org from git, they would just need to update a
git submodule, then all files would be in contrib/ as they are now.

So on the overall, this change would only affect developers: those
who contribute to Org's core would push commits to org-mode.git and
those who contribute to contrib/ would push commits to org-contrib.git.

The advantage is (1) to separate Org's core logs (the one that are
further merged into Emacs) from the org-contrib.git logs, and (2) to
open org-contrib.git more widely, i.e., make it safe for anyone to
push commits there with no fear of doing something wrong in Org's
main repository.  Also, remember that org-contrib.git would be open
for contributors without signing FSF papers first.

Does anyone think this is a very bad idea?  Why?

On the technical side: does anyone know what incantations needs to
be done for this?  I use git filter-branch (and its --tree-filter
option) from time to time but I'm definitely not an expert.  What
we want at the end is:

org-mode.git:
  with no contrib/ directory
  with no commits affecting the contrib/ directory only.
  with the maint and master branches

org-contrib.git/
  with all files from contrib/
  with all commits affecting the contrib/ directory.
  with just a master branch

Does anyone feel confident enough about this to provide a recipe?

This will be the last "structural" move before releasing 8.0.

Thanks in advance for your help!

--
 Bastien