Re: [O] Quotes not being converted correctly for LaTeX export

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] Quotes not being converted correctly for LaTeX export
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 18:46:49 +0100

Hi Jambunathan and others,

On Fri, Mar 08, 2013 at 11:03:39PM +0530, Jambunathan K wrote:
> Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > It seems double and single quotes are not being exported properly for
> > LaTeX export.  In a minimal Org instance, the following
> >
> >   * Test
> >   "Orange box"
> >   'Orange box'
> >
> > is exported as
> >
> >   \section[Testing]{Testing}
> >   \label{sec-1}
> >   "Orange box"
> >   'Orange box'
> >
> > whereas I would expect the following
> >
> >   \section[Testing]{Testing}
> >   \label{sec-1}
> >   ``Orange box''
> >   `Orange box'

> ,----[ C-h v org-export-with-smart-quotes RET ]

[...]

Thanks for pointing this out, but I still think this is a bug for LaTeX
export.  Quoting as ".." produces incorrect output in LaTeX, the correct
forms are `..' or ``..''.  This is even more important if you are
writing in a language that uses umlauts, and the situation can get
confusing as the character " is used to specify umlauts.

This is worth a thought since the old exporter did it right without any
special settings.

--
Suvayu