Re: [O] RFC: Creating a new org-contrib.git repository

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] RFC: Creating a new org-contrib.git repository
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 23:18:40 +0100

Hi Achim,

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

>> On the technical side: does anyone know what incantations needs to
>> be done for this?  I use git filter-branch (and its --tree-filter
>> option) from time to time but I'm definitely not an expert.  What
>> we want at the end is:
>
> Rewriting the history so that it stays meaningful will not be easy and
> it will lose (or alter) information whenever a file moved between
> contrib and core in the past.  This is not just a few incantations, you
> would have to write specific scripting to do this.

Yes -- my experiments show me this so far, it is not easy.

So really question the usefulness of the whole move in fact.

> I'd rather try to get as much contrib/ as possible into core and then
> re-assess what's left.

I see your point, but this cannot be done without asking the Emacs
developers what they consider being really useful for Emacs.  Again,
not something that I will have time to do before 8.0.

Let's continue to see if this is desirable and possible without
too much dirty work, and maybe postpone this after 8.0.

--
 Bastien