Re: [O] Meaning of install

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] Meaning of install
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 20:02:24 +0100

Thomas S. Dye writes:
> Section 1.2 of the Org manual in git is called `Installation', and it
> includes instructions on three ways `to install Org on top' of the Org
> that ships with Emacs.
>
> Near the bottom of that page, after giving instructions on how to
> install Org from the git repository, it says that "You can also ...
> install Org with `make install'."
>
> This is confusing to a User like me.  After having been given
> instructions on how to install Org:
>
>      $ cd ~/src/
>      $ git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
>      $ make autoloads
>
> I now find that I can also install with `make install.'

Make a suggestion.  When the new build system went live I had adapted
the description with explicit instructions for each installation method,
which was later simplified (a touch too much for my tastes) by Bastien —
which is what you look at now.  It actually doesn't even work as
documented, I see now.

> It seems clear to me that `install' is being used in two different senses
> here.  I'd like to disambiguate--can someone suggest a concise way to do
> this?

Using Org from Git can be done in two fundamentally different ways:

 a) using the worktree directly as your installation,

 b) using it as the source for an installation in a different place.

Installation is used here in the sense that your Emacs runs the
"installed" code.

Regards,
Achim.